[Distutils] new PyPI: a rant from a package maintainer

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Aug 6 22:17:54 EDT 2017

On 5 August 2017 at 14:15, Lucas Boppre Niehues <lucasboppre at gmail.com> wrote:
> Also, I agree with Nathaniel Smith that numbered versioning of the API
> (/v0/, /v1/, /v/2) would be preferable to /legacy/.

I don't have a lot to add to Donald's other responses (Thanks
Donald!), but wanted to register a +1 on the idea of replacing the
current "/legacy/" upload URL with a "/v0/" URL (with "/legacy/"
preserved as a compatibility alias). The "v0" version number still
indicates that it isn't really a properly defined service API, without
the potential for confusion between "legacy PyPI" and "legacy upload
API".

I'll also note that the lack of good service announcement channels is
in some respects a PSF level problem, rather than just a PyPI level
one, so there's a meta-tracker issue for that here:
https://github.com/python/psf-infra-meta/issues/1

Cheers,
Nick.