[Distutils] Distuils MSVC link failure between libraries

P philip.deegan at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 12:30:43 EDT 2017

Hi there,

I'm trying to create multiple C++ extensions that have dependencies between
them.

This works fine on Linux with gcc, but I get link failures on Windows with
MSVC due to this
<https://github.com/python/cpython/blob/master/Lib/distutils/_msvccompiler.py#L467>

"*IMPLIB*" is an optional argument, when not specified, the generation of
exp/lib files default to the same filename and directory as the dll.

If precompiled extensions are to be published with MSVC and expected to be
linked against (maybe this is not recommended?) the lib files are required
so it seems a bit peculiar to me to not have them with the dll as is the
default behavior.

Proof of concept
<https://github.com/0xz/distutils_msvc/blob/master/setup.py>

Thanks