[Distutils] Transfering modules

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Sun Aug 20 11:55:26 EDT 2017

> On 20 Aug 2017, at 05:56, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 20 August 2017 at 05:27, Ian Hartley <iahartle at ucsd.edu <mailto:iahartle at ucsd.edu>> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm using PyCharm CE as my development environment, on a macintosh running mac OS 10.12.3.
>
> Ah, that would explain why my intuitions were all wrong - I know how the Windows and *nix installation models work (and I believe the latter also covers homebrew on macOS), but not how the macOS framework installers work :)

FWIW: The framework installers on python.org <http://python.org/> work just like the other installers on upgrades: installing 3.6.2 on a system already running 3.6.1 replaces the 3.6.1 installation and doesn’t perform a side-by-side installation. The major differences w.r.t. a *nix installation are having an “odd” sys.prefix, and having different sys.prefix values for different feature releases.

Ronald