[Distutils] Mirroring PyPI JSON Locally

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 05:38:16 EDT 2017

On 21 August 2017 at 09:54, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> While I'm still generally negative on the idea of native reliance on
> JSON-LD, I'll note one thing that has changed since I last looked at
> it: I now see some potential concrete practical benefits to adopting
> it, rather than purely theoretical ones. In particular,
> https://github.com/scienceai/jsonld-vis now exists, and there wasn't
> anything like that around at the time of previous discussions.

Personally, I fairly often write adhoc scripts that use the JSON API,
and as it stands it's very convenient for that. From what I can see of
JSON-LD (which basically equates to "it adds some extra metadata keys
that don't change the data content but do change the list of keys and
maybe the nesting levels") it would be somewhat inconvenient for my
scripts, and add no extra capability that I would ever use.

Before we consider anything like JSON-LD, I think we need a much
clearer picture of who uses the JSON API. If it's production-type
applications, then maybe it would be useful, but if it's mostly advoc
scripts (as I suspect) it's additional complexity for little or no
benefit.

But this remains off-topic for now, so that's all I'll say.
Paul