[Distutils] PEP 517: Bootstrapping setuptools

Thomas Kluyver thomas at kluyver.me.uk
Wed Aug 23 05:54:39 EDT 2017

On Wed, Aug 23, 2017, at 05:37 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> On 23 August 2017 at 05:24, xoviat <xoviat at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The question that I have is: how does flit address this issue? Does flit
> > require external dependencies to bootstrap itself?
>
> It does, but those dependencies currently use setuptools as their
> packaging system rather than flit.

Yup. I actually moved a package which I maintain (zipfile36) back to
setuptools packaging specifically so that flit could use it without a
dependency loop.

The other dependencies for bootstrapping are requests and docutils.
There's one other dependency listed, but that can be ignored for
bootstrapping.

Thomas