[Distutils] Fwd: Re: PEP 517 again

xoviat xoviat at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 13:40:12 EDT 2017

> For the same reason you would ever ask for incremental builds, to more
quickly iterate while hacking, imagining that you are using the PEP 517
interface to develop, perhaps to have a uniform interface to patch
something when you are not familiar with exactly the build system it uses.

And so I reiterate:

> I understand that, but what I disagree with is modifying build_wheel to
make up for a lack of consensus on editable installs.

I don't think the build_wheel hook should be used for iteration or
development, because the intended purpose is for production. And I don't
think we should even consider *any* specific deficiencies of setuptools or
wheel when designing a specification.