[Distutils] Conditionless setup.py

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Fri Aug 25 07:14:42 EDT 2017

On 2017-08-25 10:50:11 +0100 (+0100), Paul Moore wrote:
[...]
> once PEP 517 is implemented and as flit gains popularity, I fully
> expect more and more projects to use a static data structure for
> their metadata (flit.ini, specifically).

This has also been possible for years already using either PBR or
distutils2. For example, hundreds of Python packages produced by the
OpenStack community use a branchless boilerplate setup.py which
declares a setup_requires on the pbr package, and then everything
else goes into an INI-formatted setup.cfg file (except for
install_requires which are drawn from requirements.txt instead).
--
Jeremy Stanley