[Distutils] Conditionless setup.py

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Fri Aug 25 19:16:39 EDT 2017

On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 1:00 PM, Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:
> (The
> community around it is sensitive to gender diversity issues and
> wants to avoid acquiring more of a "brogrammer" image, so some of us
> worry that any conspicuous TOML files checked into revision control
> repositories could be seen as a tacit endorsement of the author's
> alleged behavior at GH a few years ago.)

I was one of the folks championing TOML during the original
discussions, and this is an issue that also worried me a lot. In case
it's a useful data point: I actually contacted several of the main
rust/cargo developers, since they were the major users of TOML and are
also well known to be sensitive to these issues, to ask if they've had
any issues with this, and they said that they haven't heard any
complaints.

Obviously there's a difference between "no-one complained" and "no-one
was bothered", and I suspect the community's existing reputation may
affect how this is interpreted as well, but... maybe useful as a data
point.

Between this and the way the TOML spec appears to have been abandoned
at v0.4 (with the admonition "you should assume that is is unstable
and act accordingly") I've wondered if we should fork it, rename it
"the obvious minimal language", and release our own 1.0.

-n