[Distutils] PEP 517 again

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Sun Aug 27 05:59:01 EDT 2017

On 26 August 2017 at 23:13, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:
> This whole discussion is about handling a specific case: suppose you
> have a frontend like pip that when given a source directory and asked
> to build a wheel, wants to implement that as:
>   - build sdist
>   - unpack sdist
>   - build wheel from unpacked sdist

While I can't speak for Donald or the other pip devs, I'd like to
point out that in
https://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2017-August/031288.html
I confirmed that I'm basically persuaded now that pip should just
"trust the backend" and use build_wheel directly. So this whole debate
isn't relevant for pip. We'll need to wait for other
currently-hypothetical frontends like tox or twine which might use the
build_wheel hook, before we'll have any practical experience to
confirm if there's an issue with "return None" as the way for backends
to signal that they weren't able to build a wheel.

Paul