[Distutils] PEP 517 again

Thomas Kluyver thomas at kluyver.me.uk
Mon Aug 28 04:43:48 EDT 2017

If pip does uses build_wheel directly, as Paul now prefers, I think we
can leave the NotImplemented/Error/None question for a later date. We
only want some way to signal "I can't do that" because a frontend might
try sdist->wheel with a fallback to making a wheel directly. If no
frontend is actually planning to do that, we can leave specifying it
until a frontend wants it.

Donald, what do you think? IIRC, you were most keen on going
sdist->wheel where possible, and I don't think you've commented on
Paul's suggestion yet (apologies if I've overlooked a response).

Thomas