[Distutils] PEP 345, 566, 508 version specifiers and OR clauses

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Dec 13 20:56:52 EST 2017

On Dec 13, 2017, at 19:39, Dustin Ingram <di at di.codes> wrote:

> It seems like a small amount of convenience in exchange for a
> significant increase in complexity to me.

I can’t speak to the complexity, but it’s very definitely an important use case.  Imagine when Python 3.10 is out; do you really want to have to write:

requires-python = '>=2.7,!=3.0,!=3.1,!=3.2,!=3.3,!=3.4,!=3.5,!=3.6,!=3.7’

and so on?  Plus, I don’t think it’s uncommon to have disjointed version support like this (well, maybe until 2020 when Python 2 is dead and gone <wink>).  And you have to get requires-python right, otherwise tools like tox can’t do the right thing when they install your library into its virtual environments.

> FYI, some previous discussion on the topic can be found here:

Thanks for the links.

And thanks Donald for your vote of support.

Cheers,
-Barry