[Distutils] GSoC 2017 - Working on pip

Pradyun Gedam pradyunsg at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 21:15:29 EST 2017

Hello Everyone!

Ralf Gommers suggested that I put this proposal here on this list, for
feedback and for seeing if anyone would be willing to mentor me. So, here
it is.

-----

My name is Pradyun Gedam. I'm currently a first year student VIT University
in India.

I would like to apply for GSoC 2017 under PSF.

I currently have a project in mind - the "pip needs a dependency resolver"
issue [1]. I would like to take on this specific project but am willing to
do some other project as well.

For some background, around mid 2016, I started contributing to pip. The
first issue I tackled was #59 [2] - a request for upgrade command and an
upgrade-all command that has been open for over 5.5 years. Over the months
following that, I've have had the opportunity to work with and understand
multiple parts of pip's codebase while working on this issue and a few
others. This search on GitHub issues [3] also provides a good summary of
what work I've done on pip.

[2]: https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/988
[2]: https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/59
[3]: https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues?q=author%3Apradyunsg