[Distutils] GSoC 2017 - Working on pip

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Fri Feb 10 16:36:14 EST 2017

> On Feb 10, 2017, at 2:53 PM, Sebastien Awwad <sebastienawwad at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> If dependencies were knowable in static metadata, there would be a decent case for SAT solving. I'll try to get back to a write-up after the current rush on my main project subsides.

The differences between backtracking and SAT solvers and such is perhaps a bit of of my depth, but just FWIW when installing from Wheel it’s basically just waiting on a new API to get this information in a static form. Installing from sdist still has the problem (and likely will forever) but I think it’s not *unreasonable* to say that using wheels is what you need to do to get fast dep solving and if people aren’t providing wheels it will be slow(er?).

—
Donald Stufft