[Distutils] GSoC 2017 - Working on pip

Matthias Bussonnier bussonniermatthias at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 17:06:57 EST 2017

Hi all,

Assuming that all the requirements are wheels and coming from PyPI.
Installed using a recent pip.

How often do you think the resolution will be the same for all
clients, and mostly be "pull everything from latest" ?

If so, would it make sense to pre-compute thing on PyPI/warehouse at
package publication time, and provide a resolution "hint" as an API
endpoint ? If this "hint" is correct, it should avoid clientside work
most of time. And the resolution can probably be efficiently updated
as you only have to re-solve by looking as the dependees of previous
version.