[Distutils] Announcement: TLSv1.2 will become mandatory in thefuture

Steve Dower steve.dower at python.org
Thu Jan 12 00:30:46 EST 2017

"I don’t think it’s a particularly big deal to tie the tls module to the Python lifecycle though"

I'd hope that the API of this module is stable enough and the native part of the implementation is OS-specific enough that we may not even need to update it that often. (I'm advocating very strongly for just using the OS APIs to implement it, and those don't change often enough for us to need to worry.)

The Linux builds can link to OpenSSL, but there shouldn't be anything requiring OpenSSL for this module, so the update timeframe is totally different. But I've now joined security-sig, which is where the discussion seems to be, so I'll stop designing things here :)

Top-posted from my Windows Phone