[Distutils] recommended strategy for missing development tools

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Tue Jan 24 06:09:35 EST 2017

A reportlab user says his pip install fails to create an importable C extension.
He said

"The platform is Mac OS X 10.11.6, aka "El Capitan". Pip didn't complain"

which is probably true since the extension is not required for reportlab's main
usage.

I tried to reproduce on OS X 10.10.5, but my machine has xcode installed and the
extension was correctly produced.

I don't have any code in setup.py to prevent compilation; is there a way to
alert users to the non-build of the extension(s).
--
Robin Becker