[Distutils] A possible refactor/streamlining of PEP 517

Thomas Kluyver thomas at kluyver.me.uk
Wed Jul 5 12:14:09 EDT 2017

On Wed, Jul 5, 2017, at 05:08 PM, Paul Moore wrote:
> is that flit doesn't handle scenarios like "I unpacked a sdist" or "I
> downloaded the project archive from github and unpacked that" well.

Flit handles these fine for everything *apart* from making an sdist. It
can make a wheel, install the package, or symlink it as a development
install. Hence why I'm so frustrated by the insistence that we must make
an sdist when we have no need for an sdist.

It's not a compromise I'm entirely happy with, but all the other options
that we came up with had bigger problems, IMO.