[Distutils] A possible refactor/streamlining of PEP 517

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 06:55:07 EDT 2017

On 6 July 2017 at 11:26, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com> wrote:
> I hope you'll reconsider that deprecation - flit is one of only two (AFAIK)
> active attempts at making a saner build tool (enscons being the other one),
> and does have real value I think.

Agreed. In spite of the fact that I've been part of the pushback
you've had over flit's approach, I nevertheless feel that flit is a
major step forward in providing a user-friendly project packaging tool
for Python. Even if you don't wish to continue developing flit, I hope
that someone takes up the reins and continues to develop the ideas
introduced with flit, of having a straightforward, "do the simplest
thing needed" approach to packaging the majority of projects.

> Either way, thanks for all the effort you put in!

Agreed, and my apologies for any contribution my feedback may have
made to the pressure you felt that led you to this decision.

Paul