[Distutils] A possible refactor/streamlining of PEP 517

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 04:29:18 EDT 2017

On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 7:50 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 17 July 2017 at 15:41, Thomas Kluyver <thomas at kluyver.me.uk> wrote:
> > E) When we do work out the need and the semantics for in place builds,
> > we can write another PEP adding an optional hook for that.
>

> The minimal specification for in-place builds is "Whatever you would
> do to build a wheel file from an unpacked sdist".

Eh no, in-place has nothing to do with building a wheel. Several people
have already pointed this out, you're mixing unrelated concepts and that's
likely due to you using a definition for in-place/out-of-place that's
nonstandard. It would be helpful if you either defined your terminology or
(better) just dropped in-place/out-of-place and replaced it with for
example "an empty tmpdir" vs. "a default directory which may contain build
artifacts from previous builds" vs. <fill in however you like>.

Note that distutils behavior adds to the confusion here: `build_ext
--inplace` is actually an out-of-place build where the final extension
modules are copied back into the source tree (but not any intermediate
artifacts).

Cheers,
Ralf