[Distutils] setup.cfg - to interpolate or not to interpolate

Jason R. Coombs jaraco at jaraco.com
Thu Jul 27 11:32:06 EDT 2017

In Setuptools #889 (https://github.com/pypa/setuptools/issues/889) and Python 20754 (http://bugs.python.org/issue20754), setuptools and distutils are proposing a backward-incompatible change - to remove ConfigParser interpolation when parsing setup.cfg (and maybe other config) files.

I’d previously thought that it was an unintended regression from Python 2 to introduce interpolation, but on deeper investigation, interpolation has been present all along.

While it’s conceivable that no projects are relying on the interpolation behavior, I’d be surprised if none have at least worked around the interpolation behavior by escaping percent signs.

So I’m left with the sinking feeling there’s no easy transition from the status quo to the desired state (no interpolation).

I’d like feedback, in either ticket, about whether this change is worth the trouble and if so if there are any ways to mitigate the risks of introducing such a change.

If someone can assist on this effort, that would also be greatly appreciated. I’ll likely abandon the effort and close the tickets as won’t fix unless we can identify someone to champion the effort.