[Distutils] Provisionally accepting PEP 517's declarative build system interface

Thomas Kluyver thomas at kluyver.me.uk
Fri Jun 2 10:56:51 EDT 2017

On Fri, Jun 2, 2017, at 03:41 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> Instead, the flow that I think makes sense is "VCS -> sdist tree [->
> sdist tree -> sdist tree -> ...] -> wheel", and the above model where
> the export filtering is only used when PKG-INFO doesn't exist yet will
> give us that.

I still object to conflating 'filter the files needed to build a wheel'
with 'build an sdist' - these are different tasks which I would
implement differently. And flit cannot do (sdist tree -> sdist tree).

The options as I see them:

1. Make it the responsibility of the backend, not the frontend, to build
cleanly (except for setup.py builds). Then there's no need for a hook to
filter a build tree before building a wheel.
2. Define a hook to filter the files into a build tree, as a separate
notion from building sdists.

Thomas