[Distutils] Provisionally accepting PEP 517's declarative build system interface

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Sat Jun 3 05:55:45 EDT 2017

On 3 June 2017 at 10:45, Thomas Kluyver <thomas at kluyver.me.uk> wrote:
>> One thing that's not clear to me: a crucial use case for sdists is (1)
>> download, (2) unpack, (3) patch the source, possibly adding new files,
>> (4) build and install. (After all, the whole reason we insist on
>> distributing sdists is that open source software should be modifiable
>> by the recipient.) Does flit currently support this, given the
>> reliance on VCS metadata?
>
> Flit does support that, so long as step 4 never needs to build an sdist.
> Producing the sdist is the only operation for which flit needs the VCS.
>
> This is why I'm doggedly arguing that building and installing should be
> possible without invoking any 'sdist' hook. ;-)

This is getting very off-topic, but what if I wanted to patch the
source and then build a sdist to put into my local PyPI index? I
presume the answer is that I either have to checkout the original
sources from VCS or I have to build only wheels and maintain my source
patches some other way. I can think of realistic reasons why neither
of these 2 options are practical, but it is of course your prerogative
to not support those cases.

Also, I typically have a lot of stuff (working notes, utility scripts,
etc) checked into VCS that I don't want to be in the sdist. I don't
know if flit has a way to exclude such files - and if it does, why
can't it use that method to also allow me to say "exclude everything
*except* this list of files" if I want to?

This is basically why I'm persistently unable to see why you won't
even consider a fallback for building sdists when the VCS isn't
present.
Paul