[Distutils] PEP 517: Open questions around artifact export directories

Thomas Kluyver thomas at kluyver.me.uk
Mon Jun 12 16:01:21 EDT 2017

On Sat, Jun 10, 2017, at 06:14 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> Thomas - I agree with Donald's reasoning here, so would you mind
> updating the PEP accordingly?

I've done so here:
https://github.com/python/peps/pull/290

There are still a couple of questions on which I wasn't quite sure what
the consensus is:

-    Do we want to rename the build_wheel hook now that it makes an
unpacked wheel, e.g. export_wheel_contents to match
export_sdist_contents?
-    I have assumed that the wheel hook puts its contents in the
directory it's passed, rather than creating a subfolder. This is in
keeping with the structure of wheels, which do not have a single
top-level directory (unlike sdists), but it wouldn't fit with a future
hypothetical extension to build multiple wheels at once; we would need a
separate hook for that.