[Distutils] PEP 517: Open questions around artifact export directories

Daniel Holth dholth at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 16:58:11 EDT 2017

Sounds like an unfortunate side effect of using distutils instead of a
better build system. If they were using enscons the wheel generation would
be entirely driven by a manifest or a series of glob patterns, and it would
not matter if there were any extra files in the build directory. As long as
the .pyc file was not listed as a dependency of the final build artifact,
it would not have been included in the wheel.