[Distutils] PEP 517: Open questions around artifact export directories

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Fri Jun 16 00:25:43 EDT 2017

On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 7:58 PM, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:

> On Jun 15, 2017, at 10:51 PM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:
>
> I can see some benefit to standardizing on a single format instead of
> making every backend author learn e.g. the weird quirks required to
> get unicode filenames correct in two different formats, and I'm not
> sure why it would be a big deal to change the default for new tools
> going forward given that all our infrastructure does support .zip
> already.
>

> I believe it would be fairly disruptive for downstream redistributors like
> Debian whose tooling is designed around the idea of a .tar.gz file, and
> whom are forced to repack .zip files into .tar.gz files AIUI. I don’t
> really personally care that much about the difference between .zip or
> .tar.gz for a sdist, I just want to minimize people yelling at me unless
> it’s for a good reason, and I don’t think this is a good reason :)

You got me curious, and well, this is Debian we're talking about... judging
from [1] it looks like at least someone writing their tooling is prepared
for:

\.(?:zip|tgz|tbz|txz|(?:tar\.(?:gz|bz2|xz)))

OTOH I think PEP 517 will break everything else about their tooling, since
it all assumes the presence of setup.py? Not that any of this makes an
argument for .tar.gz or .zip in particular... that's the hard part about
this question, it just doesn't matter very much :-).

-n

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/Python/LibraryStyleGuide

--
Nathaniel J. Smith -- https://vorpus.org <http://vorpus.org>