[Distutils] Finishing up PEP 517

Thomas Kluyver thomas at kluyver.me.uk
Fri Jun 16 05:08:44 EDT 2017

On Fri, Jun 16, 2017, at 08:41 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> > I think we should rename get_build_requires to
> > get_build_wheel_requires, and add a get_build_sdist_requires. And the
> > rule would be:
> >
> > get_build_sdist_requires: can assume build-system.requires are available
> > get_build_wheel_requires: can assume build-system.requires are available
> >
> > build_sdist: can assume build-system.requires and
> > get_build_sdist_requires are available
> > prepare_wheel_metadata, build_wheel: can assume build-system.requires
> > and get_build_wheel_requires are available
>
> +1 from me

*Sigh*, another hook. It makes sense in context, but I can't shake the
feeling that what was a relatively simple spec is steadily turning into
a complex monster. I still resent that we're trying to standardise an
interface to build sdists at the same time as one to build wheels.

> Another example: Thomas expects flit to require VCS interaction
> support for sdist generation, but not for wheel building (or wheel
> build file preparation).

It's not much help for this, though, because I can't specify git as a
dependency.

> My rationale for requiring get_build_wheel_requires to be called in
> the source directory is that it means that `prepare_wheel_input_files`
> can rely on those dynamic dependencies, appropriately reflecting it's
> status as an optional substep of the `build wheel` process.

That makes sense to me.

Thomas