[Distutils] Finishing up PEP 517

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 00:40:51 EDT 2017

On 28 June 2017 at 14:36, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:
> I think that in these two cases, all the hooks used in the
> wheel-building phase should be run in exactly the same way, i.e.,
> inside the unpacked sdist, with no reference to the original working
> tree that that sdist was generated from. Since the PyPI case can't
> access the original working tree, the local out-of-place-build case
> generate the sdist and then after that pretend it can't access the
> original working tree either.

That's up to the frontend - they're certainly free to do things that
way, for the reasons you give. However, backends aren't allowed to
assume that *all* frontends will work that way - they need to ensure
that the "query-VCS-tree, build-from-sdist" combination works sensibly
(and most of them will, through the simple expedient of not reporting
any dynamic build dependencies in the first place).

Cheers,
Nick.