[Distutils] PEP 426 moved back to Draft status

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 04:26:41 EST 2017

Hi folks,

After a few years of dormancy, I've finally moved the metadata 2.0
specification back to Draft status:
https://github.com/python/peps/commit/8ae8b612d4ea8b3bf5d8a7b795ae8aec48bbb7a3

Based on our last round of discussion, I've culled a lot of the complexity
around dependency declarations, cutting it back to just 4 pre-declared
extras (dev, doc, build, test), and some reserved extras that can be used
to say "don't install this, even though you normally would" (self,
runtime). I've also deleted a lot of the text related to thing that we now
don't need to worry about until the first few standard metadata extensions
are being defined.

I think the biggest thing it needs right now is a major editing pass from
someone that isn't me to help figure out which explanatory sections can be
culled completely, while still having the specification itself make sense.

>From a technical point of view, the main "different from today" piece that
we have left is the Provide & Obsoleted-By fields, and I'm seriously
wondering if it might make sense to just delete those entirely for now, and
reconsider them later as a potential metadata extension.

Cheers,
Nick.