[Distutils] [proposal] version-free + lookup-friendly dist-info location

Ronny Pfannschmidt opensource at ronnypfannschmidt.de
Fri Mar 17 05:58:50 EDT 2017

Hi everyone,

while looking over the recent peps i noticed that we keep a few inherent
inefficiencies in where to find dist-info folders

because they include version numbers, to get a distribution we have to
search for it
which is no longer really sensible as we no longer have multi-version
installation in any upcoming standard.

in order to address that i'd like to propose to switch

from "{distribution}-{version}.dist-info/" to "{distribution}.dist-info/"

given that it has been used since quite a while i would prefer a quick
feedback loop from the ML before thinking about writing a PEP.

-- Ronny