[Distutils] [proposal] version-free + lookup-friendly dist-info location

Freddy Rietdijk freddyrietdijk at fridh.nl
Fri Mar 17 09:04:23 EDT 2017

Users may want to split installations over multiple folders and creating a
working environment by merging them (through symlinks / PYTHONPATH /
sys.path / site / .pth). Python doesn't support multiple versions of the
same module during runtime, and therefore I don't see any benefit in
including a "unique" identifier like the version number (which in fact
isn't unique, because one could also have multiple instances of the same
version but e.g. build differently).

In any case, forbidding installation of different versions in different
directories is not possible because, as I mentioned, one can create an
environment by simply merging site-packages folders.