[Distutils] [proposal] version-free + lookup-friendly dist-info location

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 10:47:48 EDT 2017

On 17 March 2017 at 14:40, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Unless the __init__.py has its own __path__ extension code, whichever
> version of "foo" is first on sys.path will "win", and you won't be able to
> import from the other one (so you'll be able to import "foo.bar" or
> "foo.baz", but not both). That's not an accident, it's behaviour that was
> deliberately kept for backwards compatibility reasons when PEP 420's native
> namespace package support was being designed.

Really? OK, I feel stupid now, I've been making a fuss over something
that's actually not possible. I should have tested this. My apologies
(in my defense, I could have sworn I remembered someone else making
precisely this point sometime in the past, but I guess I'll have to
put that down to advancing age and brain decay...)

My apologies, I stand corrected.
Paul