[Distutils] Canonical Repo URL: Make "pip install -e foo" work

Thomas Güttler guettliml at thomas-guettler.de
Tue Mar 21 04:13:29 EDT 2017

AFAIK it is impossible to do this:

  pip install -e foo

You need to use the repo URL up to now:

  pip install -e git+https://example.com/repos/foo#egg=foo

AFAIK the fast/short implementation of "pip install -e foo" does
not work, since pip can't access metadata of package foo without downloading
the whole package. Or am I wrong - is this possible?

But how cares for useless downloaded bytes? I don't care.

It should be possible to download the whole package "foo",
then look at the metadata which is provided by it. Take
the canonical repo url, and then get the source from
the repo.

AFAIK there is no official way to define a "Canonical Repo URL" up to now.

If I want to provide it for my custom packages. How could I do this?

Regards,
   Thomas Güttler

--
Thomas Guettler http://www.thomas-guettler.de/