[Distutils] add "sourceURL" to the metadata 3.0 PEP.

Wes Turner wes.turner at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 23:24:03 EDT 2017

On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 2:23 AM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 23 March 2017 at 02:29, Thomas Güttler <guettliml at thomas-guettler.de>
> wrote:
>
>> > Wes Turner:
>> > sourceURL: "git+ssh://git@github.com/pypa/pip@master"
>> > sourceURL: "git+https://github.com/pypa/pip@master"
>> > Or, we could add "sourceURL" (pending bikeshedding on the property
>> name) to the metadata 3.0 PEP.
>>
>> Why not?
>>
>> What is the next step to add sourceURL to the pep?
>>

> I'm not adding any new metadata fields to the core metadata 3.0 proposal
> (I'm only removing them).

Got it.

> This means we're not going to be automating the process of getting an
> editable checkout in the core tools any time soon - there are already 100k+
> published packages on PyPI, so anyone that seriously wants to do this is
> going to have to write their own client utility that attempts to infer it
> from the metadata that already exists (probably by building atop distlib,
> since that has all the necessary pieces to read the various metadata
> formats, both remote and local).
>
> Future metadata extensions might help to make such a tool more reliable,
> but *requiring* metadata changes to be made first will just make it useless
> (since it wouldn't work at all until after publishers start publishing the
> new metadata, which would mean waiting years before it covered a reasonable
> percentage of PyPI).

Here's a way to define Requirements and a RequirementsMap with additional
data:
https://github.com/westurner/pyleset/blob/57140bcef5/setup.py#L118

It creates a directory full of requirements[.dev].txt files:
https://github.com/westurner/pyleset/tree/57140bce/requirements

Additional metadata in Pipfile would be nice;
but it would be fairly easy to send a PR to:

BLD: setup.py: add the canonical sourceURL