[Distutils] add "sourceURL" to the metadata 3.0 PEP.

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 08:41:37 EDT 2017

On 24 March 2017 at 19:37, Wes Turner <wes.turner at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 4:26 AM, Wes Turner <wes.turner at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0345/#project-url-multiple-use
>
> Project-URL (multiple-use)
>> A string containing a browsable URL for the project and a label for it,
>> separated by a comma.
>> Example:
>>     Bug Tracker, http://bitbucket.org/tarek/distribute/issues/
>> The label is a free text limited to 32 signs.
>

> - Predicate URIs are often longer than 32 signs.

The nominal 32 character limit is on the label, not on the URL. (And I'm
not sure it's a real limit in practice)

Putting those two together means that anyone that chooses to do so is
>> already free to write a tool that:
>>
>> - downloads a PyPI package
>> - looks for a "Editable Install" Project-URL, and uses that if defined
>> - otherwise looks for a promising VCS reference in Download-URL, the
>> Project-URL definitions, and the long description
>>

> Explicit is better than implicit.
> Simple is better than complex.

And complex is better than complicated.

The logistics of packaging metadata updates are complex because the
deployment cycles are so long, and you somehow have to backfill missing
data for projects that don't yet provide it in the new-and-improved form.

For this particular problem, finding the right URL to clone is such a small
part of making edits to a dependency that it's an incredibly long way down
the list of "limitations that regularly cause problems for Python users".

Regards,
Nick.