[Distutils] Source of confusion

Thomas Güttler guettliml at thomas-guettler.de
Thu Mar 30 03:36:59 EDT 2017

Am 29.03.2017 um 11:47 schrieb Paul Moore:
> On 29 March 2017 at 10:31, Thomas Güttler <guettliml at thomas-guettler.de> wrote:
>> Am 29.03.2017 um 09:51 schrieb Paul Moore:

>>> To do what?
>>
>> To find canonical docs. With "canonical" I mean current docs from the
>> upstream.
>
> I think Nick's point probably covers this discussion, but you haven't
> said what you want docs *for*. pip? setuptools? wheel?something else?

If you are wearing new comer glasses, you don't know exactly what you are looking for.
If you would know that, then you would be an expert. And then you don't need a
guiding hand.

> They are in various places, which you can hunt out via pypi or google.
> It's not hard to do, but certainly it's true that it's harder to find
> things than you'd want if you were paying for a well-documented
> service. But given that you're not paying anything, and no-one working
> on Python packaging has any obligation to meet your expectations,
> you'll need to either lower the level of your expectations, pay
> someone to provide what you're looking for, or offer your own time and
> energy to address the issues you find. Simply making vague complaints
> on this list isn't particularly productive.

The complaint is vague? Here is it more precise:

Quoting https://www.pypa.io/en/latest/

{{{

They host projects on github and bitbucket, and discuss issues on the pypa-dev and distutils-sig mailing lists.

}}}

Why two repo providers, why two mailing lists. This confuses new comers.

I think this is precise feedback.

> Sorry if that's not the response you were hoping for, and in
> particular if you have a pressing need for support that we're not
> providing, I do understand how that can be a problem for you, but as
> Nick says, this is the reality of relying on software that's provided
> to you free of charge.

Yes, Nich is right.

Regards,
   Thomas