[Distutils] On vendoring binaries and headers with pypi packages

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Mon May 15 18:09:41 EDT 2017

On 15 May 2017 at 22:42, Sylvain Corlay <sylvain.corlay at gmail.com> wrote:
> Let's say that you have an anaconda installation, and you install the latest
> pyzmq from pypi instead of from the conda recipe.

One of the key features of conda over pip is that it manages not just
Python packages, but also non-Python dependencies. So you seem to be
asking "if I choose to use the approach that doesn't handle non-Python
dependencies, how can I make it handle non-Python dependencies in the
same way as the solution which does, but which I chose not to use"...

So I'd have to ask, why aren't you able to use the conda build? Making
pip handle non-Python dependencies is a major piece of work that's
been discussed on various occasions on this list, but typically the
debate has boiled down to "given that pip has limited developer
resource, why should we spend it on implementing something that isn't
core to pip and is already handled well by tools like conda?"

Paul.