[Distutils] Introducing PyPIContents

Luis Alejandro Martínez Faneyth luis at huntingbears.com.ve
Fri May 19 22:01:01 EDT 2017

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this list but I've been reading some threads in the archive.

Around february, an idea about indexing modules from PyPI packages was
brought up. I've been working on something similar for quite a while.

PyPIContents is an index of PyPI packages that lists its modules and
command line scripts in JSON format, like this:

[

    "1337": {
        "cmdline": [],
        "modules": [
            "1337",
            "1337.1337"
        ],
        "version": "1.0.0"
    },

]

You can check it out here:

https://github.com/LuisAlejandro/pypicontents

And some use cases:

https://github.com/LuisAlejandro/pypicontents#use-cases

The actual index lives here, its around 60MB:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/LuisAlejandro/pypicontents/contents/pypi.json

Is updated daily with the help of Travis:

https://github.com/LuisAlejandro/pypicontents/blob/contents/.travis.yml

Anyway, I hope is useful and I'll be around for any comments or questions.

Cheers!

Luis Alejandro Martínez Faneyth
Blog: http://huntingbears.com.ve
Github: http://github.com/LuisAlejandro