[Distutils] PEP 517 - specifying build system in pyproject.toml

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Sat May 20 16:05:53 EDT 2017

On 20 May 2017 at 19:36, Steve Dower <steve.dower at python.org> wrote:

>> - As a lazy developer, I don't want to read stdout/stderr from a
>> subprocess only to spit it back to my own stdout/stderr. I'd much rather
>> just launch the subprocess and let it use the same stdout/stderr as my
>> build tool.
>

> One of the open issues against distutils is that it does this. We can allow
> it, but a well-defined tool should capture the output and pass it to the UI
> component rather than bypassing the UI component.

I'm a little concerned if we're going to end up with a proposal that
means that distutils is in violation of the spec unless this issue is
fixed. I'm not sure if that's where we're headed, but I wanted to be
clear here - is PEP 517 intended to encompass distutils/setuptools, or
are we treating them as a legacy case, that pip should special-case?

Paul