[Distutils] Introducing PyPIContents

Thomas Kluyver thomas at kluyver.me.uk
Sat May 20 17:36:33 EDT 2017

On Sat, May 20, 2017, at 07:29 PM, Luis Alejandro Martínez Faneyth wrote:> It supports ['.whl', '.egg', '.zip', '.tgz', '.tar.gz', '.tar.bz2']
> formats, and it extracts the data using any available.
Nice! If there are multiple of those formats present, does it get the
data from just one? Or does it get data from all of them and combine
it somehow?

> I wasn't aware of the fact that some modules may be on one platform
> and not in another. I guess there's room for improvement.
It probably doesn't matter for most cases, but since setup.py runs
arbitrary code, it's possible for it to install different modules in
different situations - or even select modules at random, if you really
want to confuse tools like this. ;-)
This is why my own efforts at indexing focused on wheels - you can be
sure of exactly what a wheel contains. My wheel-indexing tool 'wheeldex'
is here, if there's any code or ideas there that you can use:https://github.com/takluyver/wheeldex

> Thank you. I made this because I wanted to have an app that guessed
> python dependencies from code by scaning module imports and then
> looking up the Index. That app is called Pip Sala Bim and you can
> check it out here:>
> https://github.com/LuisAlejandro/pipsalabim

Neat, that's precisely one of the use cases I was thinking of for an
index. The other thing I'm interested in is providing an interface to
install modules by their import name rather than their PyPI name; I
think your index should work for that as well. I'll dig into the code of
both PyPIContents and Pip Sala Bim more soon.
Thanks,
Thomas