[Distutils] Provisionally accepting PEP 517's declarative build system interface

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Mon May 29 16:50:09 EDT 2017

> On May 29, 2017, at 4:48 PM, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
>
> A quick rudimentary test on my machine (using ``python setup.py sdist —formats=`` in a numpy checkout [1]) suggests that this entire process takes ~0.7s which the copy operation on that same check out (shutil.copytree) also takes ~0.7s.

I forgot to add the [1] here, but it’s basically that `python setup.py sdist —formats=` actually errors out, because an empty str is not a valid format, but it errors out *after* distutils has prepped an unpacked directory and the only things left are (A) taring up that unpacked directory into the desired formats and (B) deleting that unpacked directory. Neither of which we want to do in this case.

—
Donald Stufft