[Distutils] Outstanding questions for PEP 541: Package Index Name Retention

Sumana Harihareswara sh at changeset.nyc
Wed Nov 29 23:10:42 EST 2017

While getting up to speed on Warehouse I saw how many package transfer
requests are waiting for PEP 541[0] to be accepted, so I thought it
might be helpful to round up what I see as the outstanding questions.

1) Usage criteria for abandoned projects.

> The tricky part there is that "being used" is a tough concept to
> define. Over what time period? What amount of downloading counts as
> "used"?-- Chris Rose[1]

Perhaps a month? suggests Matthias Bussonnier.[2]

The ensuing discussion includes thoughts on locking old versions of the
project[3]; as I see it, that's a potential feature request for
Warehouse, but not something to build into this PEP. (Similarly, Nick
Timkovich's idea of "salting" hot-button names on PyPI so it isn't
possible to register projects like "android"[4] is a feature idea I like
but I think this PEP does not need to wait for it.)

2) A few copyedits from Chris Barker.[5]

3) "How would I, for example, start the process of flagging a
project as abandoned?" -- Nick Timkovich[6]

It seems to me that the PEP's wording in "Removal of an abandoned
project" says we'll allow transfer of abandoned projects but will not
remove them only for being abandoned. However, the PEP currently doesn't
include a "where to file a ticket" line in that section (as it does in
"Invalid projects"). Also, if there's some other reason we should be
willing to remove abandoned projects even without a transfer, e.g., the
project has a critical security flaw, we should say that somewhere in
this PEP or in a different policy document.

There is one item Łukasz mentioned this in the "I decided to not
otherwise touch on:" list regarding the revision on January 14th[7] that
I think deserves one more chance for discussion. :) A few people brought
up making the reachability criteria and instructions crisper.

> Regarding reachability: contact attempts should also include the
> relevant project's issue tracker if attempts at private contact have
> failed.
>
> This step is important as it allows a project's *user* community to
> respond, even if the person that actually pushes the buttons to
> upload new releases to PyPI is out of contact for some reason.
-- Nick Coghlan[8]

Nick Timkovich also suggested some specific instructions[9] that would
help set expectations to, among other things, reassure maintainers about
the length of offline vacations they can take without worrying about
having their packages usurped. :)

I'm totally fine with folks saying to me: no, these are all addressed,
or not important enough to slow adoption of this PEP. In which case,
yay, I hope Donald can accept it and we can start processing the backlog.

[0] https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0541/
[1] https://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2017-January/030017.html
[2] https://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2017-January/030020.html
[3] https://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2017-January/030034.html