[Distutils] Migrating interoperability specs to packaging.python.org

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 11:06:07 EDT 2017

On 4 September 2017 at 23:33, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Some time ago, I started the process [1] of adjusting how
> distutils-sig uses the PEP process so that the reference
> specifications will live on packaging.python.org, and we use the PEP
> process to manage *changes* to those specifications, rather than
> serving as the specifications themselves (that is, adopting a process
> closer to the URL-centric way the Python language reference is
> managed, rather than using the RFCstyle PEP-number-centric model the
> way we do now).

I'm happy to report that Dustin Ingram has started making some
progress on this change, with
https://packaging.python.org/specifications/ now broken out into a set
of distinct subpages with appropriate URLs, and
https://packaging.python.org/specifications/core-metadata/ now
coversing *all* the fields that can appear in PKG-INFO and METADATA
files, not just the ones that are post-1.2 additions.

Cheers,
Nick.