[Distutils] Entry points: specifying and caching

Daniel Holth dholth at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 14:06:40 EDT 2017

http://setuptools.readthedocs.io/en/latest/formats.html?highlight=entry_points.txt#entry-points-txt-entry-point-plugin-metadata

http://setuptools.readthedocs.io/en/latest/pkg_resources.html?highlight=pkg_resources#creating-and-parsing

It is not very complicated. It looks like the characters are mostly 'python
identifier' rules with a little bit of 'package name' rules.

I am also concerned about the amount of parsing on startup. A hard problem
for certain, since no one likes outdated cache problems either. It is also
unpleasant to have too much code with a runtime dependency on 'packaging'.