[Distutils] Entry points: specifying and caching

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 20:53:31 EDT 2017

On 19 October 2017 at 04:18, Alex Grönholm <alex.gronholm at nextday.fi> wrote:

> Daniel Holth kirjoitti 18.10.2017 klo 21:06:
>
> http://setuptools.readthedocs.io/en/latest/formats.html?
> highlight=entry_points.txt#entry-points-txt-entry-point-plugin-metadata
>
> http://setuptools.readthedocs.io/en/latest/pkg_resources.
> html?highlight=pkg_resources#creating-and-parsing
>
> It is not very complicated. It looks like the characters are mostly
> 'python identifier' rules with a little bit of 'package name' rules.
>
> I am also concerned about the amount of parsing on startup. A hard problem
> for certain, since no one likes outdated cache problems either. It is also
> unpleasant to have too much code with a runtime dependency on 'packaging'.
>
> Wasn't someone working on implementing pkg_resources in the standard
> library at some point?

The idea has been raised, but we've been hesitant for the same reason we're
inclined to take distutils out: packaging APIs need to be free to evolve in
line with packaging interoperability standards, rather than with the Python
language definition.

Barry Warsaw & Brett Cannon recently mentioned something to me about
working on a potential runtime alternative to pkg_resources that could be
installed without also installing setuptools, but I don't know any of the
specifics (and I'm not sure either of them follows distutils-sig).

Cheers,
Nick.