[Distutils] Entry points: specifying and caching

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 08:14:13 EDT 2017

On 20 October 2017 at 21:57, Thomas Kluyver <thomas at kluyver.me.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 20, 2017, at 12:50 PM, Donald Stufft wrote:
> > * We stifle innovation (hell just including it in setutools at all does
> > this, but we can’t unopen that can of worms).
>
> I don't think that's true to any significant extent. Having a standard
> does not stop people coming up with something better.

entry_points.txt will be hard to change for similar reasons to why PKG-INFO
is hard to change, but that challenge exists regardless of whether we
consider it a setuptools/pkg_resources feature or an ecosystem level
standard, since it relates to coupling between metadata publishers and
consumers of that metadata.

Cheers,
Nick.