[Distutils] Announcement: Pip 10 is coming, and will move all internal APIs

Noah Kantrowitz noah at coderanger.net
Fri Oct 20 14:41:44 EDT 2017

Installing to a temp dir is really not an option for automated tooling (if nothing else, it takes way too long). `pip list --outdated` does already get fairly close to this (and doesn't install anything I suspect you can actually get a lot closer than you think) but it calculates for all packages (read: is slow) and doesn't give a good way to restrict things (hence that hack-y script which is a modified version of the pip list code). This is 100% a hard requirement for config management systems and if not fixed in pip, will require continued use of internal APIs. I would recommend just making pip list take a set of install-compatible names/version patterns and apply that as a filter in a similar way to what I've done there.

--Noah