[Distutils] Announcement: Pip 10 is coming, and will move all internal APIs

Elvis Stansvik elvis.stansvik at orexplore.com
Sun Oct 22 03:52:02 EDT 2017

> On 21 October 2017 at 12:15, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> (Note: this is entirely speculative, and I have no idea how hard it would
>> be, so please read it as the question it's intended to be)
>
> No problem - I don't know myself how hard some of this would be, either ;-)
>
>> Do you know if there any key APIs (like installation) that could be turned
>> into wrappers around pip CLI calls in order to mitigate some of the impact?
>
> The obvious one is pip.main(). That's the one a lot of people use, but
> it's easily replaceable by a simple subprocess call. That's actually
> one of the reasons this was so frustrating to us - the bug reports we
> got were often from people doing things they didn't need to, that they
> could handle trivially via a supported approach.
>
> Otherwise, no. We've had little or no feedback on the tracker from
> people using more complex internals, so our working assumption has
> been there's very little that can't be handled via the CLI or existing
> packages. Feedback so far from this mail hints that maybe we were
> wrong, but it's still hard to know if it's one or two key projects, or
> a whole range of people that we've yet to hear from. I'm pretty sure,
> for example, that pipenv uses internals, either directly or via one of
> their dependencies, but we've not seen any feedback from them yet.

Another one that immediately comes to mind is pip-tools [1], which I
think is quite widely used.

But I just checked, and they filed a "check out how to deal with pip
10" issue two days ago [2] (I'm guessing in response to this thread).

Elvis

[1] https://github.com/jazzband/pip-tools
[2] https://github.com/jazzband/pip-tools/issues/580