[Distutils] How do native namespaces work? (And do they play well with setuptools?)

Thomas Nyberg tomuxiong at gmx.com
Wed Oct 25 15:05:23 EDT 2017

On 10/25/2017 04:54 PM, Alex Grönholm wrote:
> What do you mean by "using"?

Are you referring to where I say "I'm currently using python 3.5 as
packaged in debian 9"? (I can't find the string "using" anywhere else.)
I just mean that that is the version of python I have installed.

>                              You mean installing them (for which you
> should never use easy_install anyway, btw), or packaging them? The only
> limitation regarding packaging them is that you currently need to
> explicitly list them in your packaging configuration, as find_packages()
> does not yet support namespace packages.

At this point I mean installing them using the `setup.py` script that is
in that repo (i.e. executing `python3 setup.py install`). I mean this
file:
https://github.com/pypa/sample-namespace-packages/blob/master/native/pkg_a/setup.py)
That file is using setuptools.

Maybe the best way to formulate my question is: Should the steps that I
put in the previous email result in error or not? I.e. is that a bug or
expected behavior.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers,
Thomas