[Distutils] Entry points: specifying and caching

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 23:05:30 EDT 2017

On 21 October 2017 at 18:21, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 21 October 2017 at 18:04, Wes Turner <wes.turner at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Saturday, October 21, 2017, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I'm also going to file an issue on the setuptools issue tracker to make
> sure Jason is aware of what we're doing, and get his explicit OK with the
> idea of making the format a PyPA interoperability specification (if he
> isn't, we'll demote Thomas's document to being a guide for tool developers
> aiming for pkg_resources interoperability).
> >
> > What are the URIs for this PR and issue?
>
> New setuptools issue: https://github.com/pypa/setuptools/issues/1179 (I
> hadn't filed it yet when I wrote the previous comment)
> Thomas's PR: https://github.com/pypa/python-packaging-user-guide/pull/390

With Jason's +1 on the setuptools issue, I've gone ahead and hit the merge
button on Thomas's PR:
https://github.com/pypa/python-packaging-user-guide/commit/34c37f0e66821127a8cbe59fa1f33dca0cf20d97

The spec is now available here
https://packaging.python.org/specifications/entry-points/, and
clarifications and corrections can be submitted as follow-up PRs (as for
other PyPA specifications).

Cheers,
Nick.