[Distutils] Questions about Python 3.6.2 installation

Leonardo Rochael Almeida leorochael at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 08:48:06 EDT 2017

Hi Carlos,

Distutils is not the exact forum for these kinds of questions, since we
mostly deal with the packaging of Python code for redistribution, not with
redistribution / installation of Python itself.

For general help with Python we suggest the python-help mailing list:

That said, you can install Python 3.6.2 while still maintaining Python
3.5.2 installed. For Linux Mint, which is Ubuntu based (as far as I
remember), I suggest you use the Dead Snakes PPA:

https://launchpad.net/~deadsnakes/+archive/ubuntu/ppa

In any case, I recommend against uninstalling the Pythons that came with
your system, as other packages might depend on them.

Alternatively, if you don't want to mess with system packages at all, you
can use `pyenv`:

https://github.com/pyenv/pyenv

Best regards,

Leo